National Disability Services Limited ACN 008 445 485 (“NDS”) is committed to providing the disability sector and the community with the highest levels of professional service. This includes protecting your privacy. We understand the importance placed on the privacy of your personal information.
- how we collect and use your personal information;
- your right of access to your personal information;
- your right to inspect and, where necessary, correct the personal information that we hold about you;
- your right to have your privacy complaints investigated and resolved; and
- your right to have your personal information protected from misuse or unauthorised access.
what is personal information?
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you. This includes any personal information or opinions about you, whether true or not, no matter how the information or opinions are recorded.
why do we collect personal information?
We collect personal information from users of this Website in order to provide those users with certain services or functionality in areas of this Website. We may restrict access to certain areas of this Website only to users who have provided personal information.
what happens if you choose not to provide your personal information?
You are not obliged to give us your personal information. However, if you choose not to provide NDS with your personal details we may not be able to publish content you submit to our site.
what personal information do we collect and how do we use it?
The personal information that we collect and hold usually falls into the following categories:
- when you visit the publicly available parts of this Website, NDS or the Website Hosting Provider used by NDS may collect your IP address, your top level domain name, the date and time of your visit, the pages you access, the previous website you visited and the type of web browser you use;
- we may record your e-mail address if you send us a message or apply to access certain areas of this Website; or
- to comment on certain areas of this Website we will ask you to register with us, or use your Facebook log in. During the registration process we will ask you to provide personal information to us. For example, we may collect information about your name, your telephone number and your email address.
We will not use your personal information for any purpose which is not related to a service we provide to you or to the functionality of this Website. We will not use your personal information in a manner contrary to this policy. We will not add your email address to any mailing list unless you have given us permission to do so.
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold is accurate and up to date. If you feel that information about you is not accurate or your details have or are about to change, please inform us and, upon verification, we will correct or update your personal information (in the manner we describe below).
If you would like to access any of our services on an anonymous basis please tell us. If this is possible and lawful, we will take reasonable steps to comply with your request. However, if you choose not to provide us with your personal information we are not likely to be able to provide you with the services or access to sections of this Website you require.
how do we collect personal information?
Where possible, we collect your personal information directly from you. However, in some areas of this Website, another user of this Website might post personal information about you. NDS has established Community Rules that prohibit this conduct, however, should this occur please contact us and we will remove your personal information.
In some situations we collect personal information about you from a third party source. If we collect information about you in this way, we will take reasonable steps to contact you and ensure that you are aware of the purposes for which we are collecting your personal information and the organisations to which we might disclose your information, subject to any exceptions under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
when do we disclose your personal information?
We will use and disclose information for the primary purpose for which it was collected. We may also use and disclose personal information for purposes that are related or ancillary to the main reasons we collect it. For example, we may use your personal information for the purpose of providing you with information about other services offered by us. NDS may also be required, by law, to disclose personal information to law enforcement officers or other persons.
We never disclose personal information that we collect to third parties for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products and services unless you have given us your permission for us to do this.
NDS engages some third party contractors to perform services for us, which may involve the contractor handling personal information we hold. In these circumstances we prohibit the third party contractor from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which we supply it.
access to your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to certain exceptions provided for in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
We will provide access by allowing you to inspect, take notes of or receive copies or print outs of the personal information that we hold about you. To obtain access please make your request in writing to our Privacy Officer. Our Privacy Officer can be contacted on 1300 637 637 or info@projectABLE.com.au.
our contact details are
GPO Box 2687
Sydney, NSW, 2001
For security reasons you will be required to put your request in writing and provide proof of your identity. This is necessary to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is not undermined.
when will access be denied?
Access will be denied if:
- the request does not relate to the personal information of the person making the request;
- providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of a person;
- providing access would create an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- the request is frivolous or vexatious;
- the request relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings;
- the information is subject to legal professional privilege;
- providing access would prejudice negotiations with the individual making the request;
- access would be unlawful;
- denial of access is authorised or required by law;
- access would prejudice law enforcement activities;
- access discloses a ‘commercially sensitive’ decision making process or information; or
- any other reason that is provided for in the Australian Privacy Principles or the Privacy Act (1988).
If we deny access to information we will give you our reasons for denying access.
We will take all reasonable steps to provide you with access to the information requested within 14 days of your request. In situations where the request is complicated or requires access to a large volume of information, we will provide access to the information requested within 30 days.
costs and charges
NDS may charge you a fee to reimburse us for the costs we incur relating to your request for access to information.
security of your information
We will take all reasonable steps to secure your personal information. Electronic information is protected by various security measures and access to information and databases is restricted to the staff and contractors of NDS that need access to the information in order to perform their duties.
how to contact us
If you would like more information on privacy or have any questions in relation to this policy please contact our Privacy Officer. We can be contacted by telephone or mail as follows:
GPO Box 2687
Sydney, NSW, 2001
1300 637 637
We reserve the right to review, and if necessary, change this policy without notice to you.